- The Spear Carrier by A.M. Dellamonica (appreciation by Paul Abbamondi)
- The Canadian Who Came Almost All the Way Home From the Stars by Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvod (appreciation by Timothy Mahoney)
- Anyway by M. Rickert (appreciation by Rick Bowes. Review by Matt Cheney)
- Panacea by Jason Stoddard (appreciation by Adam R. Rakunas)
- The Dope Fiend by Lavie Tidhar (the very last story published on the site)
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
The Best of SciFiction: 2005
Can't quite believe I managed to finish this little project. In a way, I'm endebted to SciFi for pulling the plug on SciFiction--given my dislike for reading fiction on the computer, I doubt I would have read through the archives if I hadn't known their time online was limited. I'm even more endebted to the existence of this blog--the knowledge of having committed myself publicly to the task spurred me on--and I hope that I've inspired some of you to take a look at these stories and maybe the entire archives. I still don't like reading on the computer (for some reason, the block doesn't extend to non-fiction and blog entries), but there's no denying that SciFiction was a remarkable accomplishment, and that its archives contain some of the finest short fiction within the genre (and, in some cases, without it). We have truly lost something special.