An Idea Whose Time Has Come?

The Last Starfigher: The Musical

I know I'm far from being the only person with a soft spot for this cheesy Star Wars knockoff, but this is still a peculiar notion. I guess the idea is that the thrills which, in the film, were supplied by effects-laden space battles will be substituted by the thrill of watching energetic song-and-dance numbers.

I'm actually going to be in New York next month. I don't arrive until after the show's run ends, but if I had the chance I'd be sorely tempted to give this show a look.

(Via Ed)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the film and all, but this is just... I mean... seriously it's just... whuh?
matt ruff said…
Finally, some new work for the Pac-Man Fever guys...
Fred said…
Well, if they did it for Xanadu...

It probably is an idea whose time has come. Which makes me deeply concerned about the times that we're in.

I, too, have fond memories of The Last Starfighter, but whatever happened to writing something original? When we have movies based on musicals based on earlier movies, maybe it's just time to stop culture as a whole and re-assess.

I'm only partly serious, here. A friend of a friend once wrote Red Zone Cuba: The Musical, and that was a lot of fun. But, at a certain point, I have to wonder, how much is genuine entertainment and how much just nostalgia?

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Somehow, It Got Worse

Recent Movie: The Batman

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Now With an Asterisk